Senior Legal Counsel, Contract Negotiator
For a Growing Renewable Energy Company operating across Africa.
Role to be based in London, UK (semi remote)
Empower (www.empowernewenergy.com) is a growing renewable energy investment company and is currently looking to hire a Senior Legal Counsel to join their high performing legal team based in London. Empower has gone through significant growth over the past couple of years, with a strong pipeline of investment in solar projects across Africa as well as an ever-growing portfolio of operating assets. Empower has the vision to be a leader within the small and medium-sized sustainable energy sector in Africa. Specialising in scalable energy assets, the team has a strong ethical focus on producing clean energy whilst maximising returns for their investors.
The Senior Legal Counsel position has arisen due to an increase in workload across a broad range of legal areas, including management of existing assets in construction and in operation, and the negotiation of new EPC and other works and services contracts along with the operations and maintenance contracts. As this is a brand-new role within Empower, there will be plenty of autonomy to grow and shape the position as you see fit. You will be working directly with members of the leadership team, reporting into the Chief Investment & Legal Officer, and will lead on liaising with multiple external providers and working alongside Empower’s external project partners.
Scope of work
- Negotiating and providing effective advice on a wide range of construction and operational matters, including EPC, procurement, suppliers and Operation & Maintenance contractors
- Providing advice and leading on any construction dispute resolution processes
- Participating in and providing legal advice on general project finance and portfolio management/refinancing opportunities
- Instructing external counsel where appropriate and managing legal spending
- Supporting the development of in-house legal expertise, including development of junior colleagues
- Advising on new laws, regulation and policy changes, and the impact of geo-political issues on contract negotiations
- Supporting on and finding solutions to undertake necessary structural changes to existing projects to avoid projects being delayed or cancelled due to unforeseen impediments
Who we are looking for
- Qualified Lawyer with minimum 5 PQE and expertise within the construction or development space, with experience in energy/renewables an advantage
- Experience gained within private practice and more recently in-house would be advantageous
- Experience in construction contract disputes, settlements and claims, including in international arbitration
- Experience working across multiple global jurisdictions. Experience of working in Africa would be beneficial.
- An autonomous worker, with the ability to be a self-starter and to work well with team members located across our network of offices.
To apply, please EITHER COMPLETE THE FORM BELOW OR send your application to email@example.com, and addressed specifically to our "Legal Recruitment Manager"