Regulated by the Solicitor’s Regulation Authority, Duncan Lewis Solicitors was founded in 1998 and is headquartered in the City of London (Fenchurch Street EC3M), with offices nationwide. We are recognised by the Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners UK independent legal directories as a top-tier law firm – “a diligent and professional team that is prepared to go the extra mile for its clients”. A paperless law firm with over 500 personnel that embraces hybrid-working, we service both corporate entities and private individuals in over 25 areas of law across 60 languages. We give people a voice - that is our ethos.
Choosing a career with Duncan Lewis is choosing a law firm that is the largest provider of publicly funded (legal aid) legal services in the country, has been Investors in People Gold Standard accredited for over 15 years and is continuously applauded nationally for the work that it does.
In 2022 we were named as one of the Times 200 Best Law Firms. In 2021 we were celebrated by the Chambers Europe Award as an ‘outstanding firm’ for diversity and inclusion. In previous years we have been awarded a number of awards, including the Law Society Excellence Award for Large Law Firm of the Year in 2020, Access to Justice at the UK Legal Diversity Awards in 2019 and the Family Law Firm of the Year at the 2015 Family Law Awards, to name just a few. Duncan Lewis is Law Society Lexcel, Cyber Essentials Plus and ISO 27001 Information Management accredited.
We look to recruit dedicated and talented employees in both legal and non-legal capacities, and we are always interested to receive applications from quality candidates. If you can demonstrate a strong commitment to the areas of law provided by the firm, and you are keen to build a career with us, please apply online with your details and CV.
Main Responsibilities of the Role:
- Report directly to Manager
- Drafting / preparing inter partes bills of costs, costs budgets; and points of reply/dispute
- Drafting inter partes bills with Legal Aid element
- Drafting Claim1’s, 1a’s and VHCC/HCCP case
- Drafting of estimates of costs to accompany Allocation Questionnaires and Pre-Trial Checklists.
- Negotiations of Bills including attendance at CCMC’s
- Overseeing the Issuing of the Notice of Commencement and associated documents
- Working to deadlines
- Attendance upon Detailed Assessment Hearing as and when necessary
- Providing technical / costs guidance to fee earners where required
- Assist junior members of the team to complete post –assessment work, with training and ad hoc queries
- Maintaining accurate time costing procedures
- Implementing any recommendations made by your supervisor following monthly meetings ensuring that these are dealt with promptly
- Ensuring compliance with file management
- Internal training and reviewing the ongoing costs management process.
Key Skills Required:
- 2+ years’ experience in costs / as costs draftsman
- Worked in a litigation environment and have some relevant legal experience gained within a Costs team
- Experience of handling your own costs caseload from start to finish
- Costs negotiation skills and experience
- Up to date knowledge of LAA Costs Assessment Guidance, CPR and legislation
- IT literate including knowledge of using costs drafting software e.g. Costsmaster
- Strong attention to detail
- Committed team player and adapt well to new challenges
- Previous proven supervisory experience an advantage but not requirement
- Professional with a pro-active approach; excellent client care skills and ability to deal with other professionals and court services
- Excellent networking and communication skills with the ability to successfully market the Company and generate new business
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to use own initiative and sound judgment
- Experience in own advocacy is an advantage
- Excellent IT Skills -familiar with Microsoft Office applications and document management skills
The recruitment process will fully comply with GDPR and other applicable laws. Background checks including CRB / DBS checks will establish your eligibility to work in the UK and suitability to the role.
Duncan Lewis is committed to Equal Opportunities and embraces diversity of its staff. The Company strives to ensure that our staff reflects the diversity of the communities we serve, which is reflective at all levels within our workforce.
We guarantee an interview for candidates that disclose a disability and meet the essential requirements for the post. Please provide additional details in your covering letter if this applies.
If you are interested in applying for this vacancy, please visit our website and apply using our online process for your application to be considered.
APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY AGENCIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED FOR THE ABOVE VACANCY