Join Newry, Mourne and Down District Council, and shape a brighter future. We are now recruiting for an Assistant Director People and Legal.
Service Area: Corporate Services
Reports to: Corporate Services Director
Your Team: Human Resources / Legal Services and Compliance
Base Location: Based in Council offices in Downpatrick or Newry. This post will work across the Newry, Mourne and Down District Council area
Newry, Mourne and Down District Council is seeking to appoint an experienced professional for our Corporate Management Team to lead legal, human resources and compliance services, and drive effective transformation programmes across the Council.
- Be a qualified solicitor, who holds or is entitled to hold a Practising Certificate in Northern Ireland
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience of operating at senior management level in a large, complex, unionised organisation a role which includes responsibility for leading a team of people and at least one of the service areas - People and/or Legal
- A minimum of 2 years’ post qualification experience as a Solicitor in at least two of the following areas:
- Providing general legal advice as a practicing lawyer
- Compiling legal contracts and agreements and managing the process to completion
- Conveyancing and dealing with any property related matters
- Conducting defence of public liability, employer’s liability, or road traffic claims, in County Court of High Court
- Managing the litigation process for a range of employment matters before Tribunals and providing legal advice on employment law issues
- Advising, drafting and instituting proceedings related to the recovery of debts
- Preparing for and issuing proceedings in respect of breaches of legislation.
- Able to demonstrate an up-to-date awareness of:
- Planning legislation in Northern Ireland
- Information governance law, particularly Data Protection and Freedom of Information
- Section 75 legislation as applicable to local government services
- Competent in the use of Microsoft packages, including Excel
- Available to work outside normal office hours including evenings and weekends when required
- Available to travel and attend evening and other meetings outside of office hours as required
- Hold a full valid driving licence and have access to transport to meet the requirements of the post OR have access to transport to meet the requirements of the post
- Experience of working on Northern Ireland Planning Law related issues
- Experience in the provision of employment law advice, including tribunal experience
For more information on the role, and to apply, please visit: https://newrymournedown.getgotjobs.co.uk/home
The closing date for applications is Monday 18th December 2023 at 12noon.
Newry, Mourne and Down District Council is an equal opportunities employer.