The Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions, Cayman Islands Government, is currently inviting applications for the following post(s):
CROWN COUNSEL (Criminal) (3 Posts)
CI$81,252.00 – CI$89,700.00 per annum
BPS £76,800- £84800 per annum
Crown Counsel (Criminal) will be responsible for conducting prosecutions and complex criminal litigation on behalf of the Director of Public Prosecutions. Operating at all levels of the Court system, including the Cayman Islands’ Court of Appeal. Crown Counsel (Criminal) will also be required to advise law enforcement agencies and Cayman Islands Government Departments and Statutory Authorities, and to undertake extradition and mutual legal assistance matters.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Experience and Skills
Applicants for this position should be a Solicitor, Barrister or Attorney-at-Law qualified to practice in an English-speaking Commonwealth jurisdiction. Applicants must also:
- possess a minimum of five (5) years’ post qualification experience, including substantial criminal advocacy work, at the most senior levels in the area of criminal advocacy;
- be familiar with the laws and legal systems of England & Wales and other Commonwealth jurisdictions, and have a sound knowledge of criminal law, human rights and constitutional law, and laws of evidence, practice and procedure;
- be able to effectively deal with witnesses and victims as well as accomplish desired results in normal business settings;
- be able to give clear and accurate advice and work within the relevant code of conduct for prosecutors;
- possess strong interpersonal, negotiation, research and analytical skills, and be able to assimilate instructions quickly;
- be able to render prompt and effective legal advice at very short notice.
- have specialism with prosecution of either Regulatory offenses, Sexual offenses or Criminal offense.
The remuneration package for this role includes a non-contributory Government Pension Scheme and medical and dental coverage.
A detailed job description, information on benefits and the ability to apply by creating your profile are available at: www.careers.gov.ky . Note that applicants for these three positions will include enhanced due diligence reviews.
Deadline for receipt of applications: Tuesday-19December 2023